Get one year of Gobbler for free

You might have heard of Gobbler, it’s still in beta (isn’t everything these days?) but it has created quite a buzz in the audio world. Why? Because it’s a backup solution dedicated for us musicians and engineers working with Pro Tools or other DAW’s. Right now you can get a year of the service for free.

According to their website, Gobbler will help you backup, transfer and organize your projects. Sounds good.

The backup is cloud-based and a very clever solution too. Gobbler automatically finds your projects and back them up. Great! Can you toss your DVD’s and hard drives now then? Not quite.

Gobbler is not a good archiver, it’s better – and probably intended – for backup of the projects you’re currently working on. Professionals can’t take any risks. If you’re responsible for a clients work and the Gobbler service for some strange reason is down while your project is corrupted you’ll need another backup.

So here’s the details on the deal:

For everyone who signed up for Gobbler prior to Dec 7th 2011 (and has logged into Gobbler at least once using our client software), you will keep your Gobbler accounts for free until Feb 1, 2013 (a full year of free service). Whatever amount of storage you have accumulated by getting your friends to sign up will be included in that amount. So if you currently have 75GB or 150GB of storage it’s yours for free for a whole year. You will continue to be able to accumulate storage during that year. On Feb 1 2013 when the free year is up your will be grandfathered in at our lowest price of $7.95 per month for life no matter how many gigs of storage your have earned between now and Feb 1 2013.

I’ve been using Gobbler for a while and can definitely recommend it. Go sign up for it if you haven’t already.

Oh, one last thing. I was actually in a situation recently where both my backups were fucked. It shouldn’t happen but it did, luckily I had them in the cloud.

9 responses to Get one year of Gobbler for free

1. The New Loud says:

This seems pretty useless – at least in the US. I think I have 1.5MBPS Upload, because Time Warner caps your upload at 1/10th of your download. Most of my sessions are over 3 GIGS/song. It seems like this would take forever to back up one song in this fashion.

Can someone explain how this would work?

2. I have also been using Gobbler for ages and they have chosen not to take the product to market too early, rather test it for real with real users, yes OK they have used us to do their beta testing but we have had a free service in return. I love it and use it a lot. For me it gives me that reliable off site backup that I hadn’t got to date.

@The New Loud, I am in the UK and I have ‘fibre to the cabinet’ internet connection, which gives me 30 Meg down and around 1.5 up so in terms of upload I am using Gobbler under very similar conditions. I have been working through my ‘back catalogue’ and have left my computer to work over night backing projects up to the cloud. Once you are backing up ‘work in progress’ then things are easier because the amounts of data get much smaller and it is possible to leave Gobbler working in the background, and when you take a break it will backup and new content in a watched session. I work mainly in post so I have sessions that are regularly 15+ gigs, add a video file and they are large, just give it the time and it will back up. If there is a hiccup, then Gobbler is intelligent to pick up where it left off. All in all don’t write it off because you only have 1.5 Meg upload speed, if you plan accordingly it will be fine.

3. The New Loud says:

Thanks Mike! I’m going to check this out. I leave my system on 24/7 anyway.

4. stiff says:

Thanks for chiming in Mike.

By the way, ya’ll should check out Mike’s Gobbler experience post if you haven’t already:

5. John Costello says:

Is it just 25 gigs of space?

My folder of project back ups is at 35 gigs this week. My Mixes In Production folder is 135 gigs… My Masters folder is 56 gigs…

I don’t mind extra time for upload, but I need at least 500 gigs of free space just to get started…..

PS My sample library would benefit by this as well, but it is already about 1T.

I need something that can Gobble much more! LOL!

JC3

6. John,

The space Gobbler is offering free is 25 Gb. Remember Dropbox only offer 2Gb free, after that you pay. You will be able to buy additional space on Gobbler too. Gobbler will be announcing full pricing plans in February 2012 but there will be some great deals for users who need more space now. If you want to go on a list to get details of these offers then sign up here. http://mediagobbler.us1.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=8d39153ede7f55eb8296dc3ce&id=75bf150157

7. John Costello says:

Thanks for the reply, Mike!

I did sign up!

I look forward to pricing, but if 25 gigs is going to be 7-8 bucks per month, I don’t think I’ll be able to afford 500 gigs, which is the minimum I would need for back up. If it’s more than a hundred bucks a year, I would probably just buy a 3T usb drive and keep it off site… Also I use Lion Server for sharing sessions and songs. Anything else like Drop Box was never really “Pro” enough for me.

I really hope cloud based offerings like Gobbler are in my future. iTunes match is great for my masters and mp3′s. No size limit per file and up to 25,000 files, at $25 per year. iMatch also makes them available on all of my iOS devices and computers. Photo stream even puts my latest pics on all of my TV’s. 1000 of them, even RAW, and iCloud is free.

Thanks again!

JC3

8. John Costello says:

LOL! I don’t have 1000 TV’s, I meant files! Sorry I can’t edit my previous post!

JC3