I must be tired today, I read “Basic FRills” three times and thought to myself “that’s a damn weird name” before realizing that Toontrack’s latest release is called Basic Fills MIDI. It’s a follow-up to Basic Rock MIDI that was released earlier in the year.
Believe it or not, but the Basic Fills pack focuses not on frills but on fills. Here’s how the Toontrack press release describes it:
• A follow-up to Basic Rock MIDI
• Drum fills MIDI suitable for any type of modern rock
• Categorized in different songs
• Short fills with lead-ins, long fills with lead-ins & single fills
• Halftime / midtempo / uptempo in 4/4 and 6/8 straight and/or swing feel
Hal Leonard has recognized that pitch correction has changed quite a bit since the introduction of Auto-tune and has published Pitch Correction Software Now!, a new book described as “a practical guide full of tips and tricks designed to quickly get you up to speed with the most popular pitch-correction products available today“.
From the popular and slick T-Pain Effect by pitch correction powerhouse iZotope to professional polyphonic pitch correction using Celemony’s Melodyne DNA, this focused tutorial makes it easy to choose the best pitch-correction products for your music creation needs and helps you incorporate them into your music production workflow.
The author is Max Mobley, a music industry professional who worked as a guitarist and live sound engineer, as well as written and produced songs for film and television. He’s also a former product manager for Antares Audio Technologies.
Blue Cat Audio have updated five of their plugins with some important news for ProToolers. The updated plugins are: Blue Cat’s DP Meter Pro (audio levels meter), FreqAnalyst Multi (multiple tracks spectrum analyzer), Oscilloscope Multi (multiple tracks waveform visualizer), StereoScope Multi (multiple tracks stereo field analyzer) and Blue Cat’s Protector (zero latency brickwall limiter).
What’s new for most plug-ins:
- Fixed AAX version not showing up in Pro Tools 10.3.5 on Windows.
- Fixed user interface issues in Final Cut Pro X.
- Fixed compare light issues in Pro Tools.
- Fixed MIDI and automation settings that were reset when using undo.
- RTAS: Fixed parameters control with EUCON control surfaces in Pro Tools.
- AAX: Fixed initialization issues on some Pro Tools HD configurations.
- Mac-VST: Fixed window resize issues on Cubase and Nuendo (Mac).
- Mac: Fixed user interface display issues when first opened in Ableton Live 9.
- Mac: Control MIDI settings dialog is now brought back to front when already opened in the background.
- Mac: fixed copy/paste keyboard shortcuts for plug-in registration that did not work in some hosts.
Additional change for Blue Cat’s FreqAnalyst Multi:
- Pushing all parameters to other instances does not push the stereo configuration anymore.
It’s been quite some time since I heard from Prosoniq but today they actually announced a new version of TimeFactory. Version 2.5 of the time stretching software includes the following new features:
• Added capabilty to export multi-channel files as individual channels (keeping the original names)
• Added support for Sony WAVE64 and EBU MBWF/RF64 file formats
• Updated Dirac algorithm to latest v3.6.2
• Added Dirac’s transcribe mode
• Better usage of screen real estate
• Removed support for PPC machines
• Many minor fixes and improvements
Toontrack is expanding its EZkeys range with the Country MIDI sound library. This pack focuses on the country genre (who would’ve guessed?) and, according to the press release, “includes anything from the classic and rootsy to the timeless ballads and the slick, pop-influenced styles that top the charts of today”. It continues…
• An extensive collection of chord progressions and playing styles for country inspired music
• Tempos and styles ranging from ballad to uptempo
• Covering straight and/or swing in 2/4, 3/4 & 4/4
I ran into a little problem a while back when I noticed that all my presets for my Native Instruments synths FM8 and Absynth were nowhere to be found. I tried to just rebuild the database but apparently the default folder wasn’t correct because there were no presets there! This in itself was kind of weird since I’ve never moved them. I eventually figured it out. (more…)
My favorite limiter, bar none, McDSP ML4000 is currently being offered at a whopping 50% off. Both the HD and Native versions are discounted, with Native landing at $115 and HD $215. Offer is only available until May 17th.
The ML4000 is two plug-ins: the ML1 mastering limiter, and the ML4 – a multi-band Gate, Expander, and Compressor fed into the same limiter algorithm found in the ML1. While it’s my go-to limiter since, well, pretty much since it was released, don’t just take my word for it, try before you buy.
If you’re an aspiring songwriter you might want to check out the following interview with Monty Powell. It was made and released as part of Toontrack’s songwriter month but it isn’t filled with blatant product pushing and actually includes some nice tips.
ProToolerBlog has been going strong since 2007 and is today the largest unofficial Pro Tools website in the world. We update daily with news, reviews and more. ProToolerBlog is not affiliated with Avid.